Overlooking Lost Horse Corridor from Lost Horse Observation Point.
Bitterroot Mountains, Montana. July 2019. Northern Rockies.
I am high above the timberline
Where the sky and mountains meet
Up where the air is very thin
Somehow it's easier to breathe
Like the wind in the canyon echoing
The spirit is calling me, whispering
Out here, in the wild and the wonder
Where the lightning and the thunder
Serve a great awakening
Out here, where the one who did the making
Is still in me creating, a place where I am free
I can hear, I can breathe, I believe, out here
"Out Here" song by Geoff Moore
This is my daughter's rendition of Big Creek Lake from one of my photos on our backpack trip last year. :)
What are you dreaming of? Are you taking action towards it? If not, you should be.
Reaching our dreams and goals in life is kind of like hiking to a sought after mountain peak or lake or some other beautiful destination. To get there, it helps to be on the right path. When we find we have somehow gotten on the wrong path, we need to find our way back to the right one. When we are on the right path, no matter how hard things might be at times, we need to press on and not give up. The right path is not always easy, but it will lead us to where we want to be.
Is your to-do list helping you or hurting you? If your to-do list is helping you, that's great. But if you are like a lot of people in this day and age, and your to-do list is weighing you down and making you feel like a failure, I've got some ideas for you to try.
1. Keep your list short and to the point. I have a longer to-do list so I don't forget things. But when I am feeling overwhelmed with it all, I make a separate to-do list of my 3 priorities for the day. It looks much more doable, and I get the important things done. If I accomplish those, then I can see what else I want to get done on my bigger list.
2. Create a have-to list and a want-to list. Make an agreement with yourself, that after you do something on your have-to list, you can then pick something to do on your want-to list. This also ensures that your want-to things don't get left out of your life while waiting for your to-do list to get finished first. We all know that won't happen.
3. Aside from critical things, stop focusing on an overbearing to-do list and make a daily or weekly "done" list instead. When I'm not getting much done on my to-do list, I can start to feel like a failure. I ask myself, "What did I do today?" Then I start to review my day and discover I actually did quite a bit overall, just not things on my list. That's when it's time for a done list. Keep track of what you do. It will make you feel better at the end of the day, and you will likely become more motivated to get more things done to grow that list. And you will effectually start getting things done off of your to-do list.
4. Sometimes no matter how well we plan and how motivated we might be to accomplish things, life happens and gets in the way. Some days you just have to throw the list out the window and ride through the roller coaster, doing what you can and not worrying about what you can't for the time being. We simply can't do everything.
5. Finally, recognize that a to-do list is ongoing. It is never finished, because as we cross things off, we keep adding more. It's not about finishing the list. It's about taking care of the things that need to get done, and making progress on other things that are important to us.
I hope that you will find a way to be master of your lists, and not let your lists be master of you. I have found it's a continuing work in progress, so I use different strategies as needed. When something is working, stick with it. When it's not, try something else. :)
Hi! I'm Nikki Weiss, and I'd like to invite you to follow along with me "Out Here".
mountain adventurer + photographer
follow by email
follow on fb
fitness, hiking, + weight loss coach
Let me help you get "out here", too. I will soon be offering a hiking related fitness group with coaching and support for getting in shape and getting out in the outdoors more. If you might be interested in joining, contact me and request to be added to my waiting list and I will notify you by email when it is up and ready for members to join. :)